Search This Blog

11/13/14

Ira Wright & Orchestra: The Music Man & My Fair Lady (Rondo-Lette)


Rondo-lette was one of the better labels Eli Oberstien ran in the late 50's. These albums featured stereo releases complete with full color jackets and liner notes, but no inner sleeve for some reason… Many of these releases were cheaply recorded instrumental albums, such as this split album. This album features 4 selections from "The Music Man" and 5 selections of "My Fair Lady", on sides A and B respectfully. My copy came to me without it's original jacket, and like all the Rondo releases I have ran a crossed, it's really beat up. If you see a NM copy of any Rondo or Rondo-lette release you have a real rarity! 

I rushed through the transfer process, basically removing the largest pops, and running it through DeClick and DeNoise to remove a good majority of the artifacts plaguing this copy. It's not a perfect transfer, however it's still very listenable.



Tracks are as follows

Side A

76 Trombones
Goodnight My Someone
Lida Rose
Till There Was You [Not sure if the track on this album is actually this song, sounds more like a Jazzy filler track to me. See my "Till There Was You (Halo Records)" video for the correct recording]


Side B

I Could Have Danced All Night
Get Me To The Church On Time
With A Little Bit of Luck
On The Street Where You Live
I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face

1 comment:

  1. Somewhat-popular British orchestras wound up on Eli Oberstein labels as well as on Design (Pickwick). Sometimes they were credited to the actual orchestra leader, but usually not. The only UK artist I can remember off-hand is Johnny Gregory, who also did early recordings for UK Woolworth's Embassy Records cover version label (run by Oriole Records UK). (The US Woolworth's Waldorf Music Hall cover version label was run by Enoch Light in New Jersey). Gregory has a partial discography here: http://www.discogs.com/artist/515769-John-Gregory-And-His-Orchestra

    ReplyDelete